Just like mamma used to make! Try this twist on a delicious Italian inspired sandwich
A classic Italian sub sandwich normally features a mixture of cured meats, such as salami, pepperoni or ham, and provolone cheese on an Italian-style roll. Onions, tomatoes, and crispy lettuce topped with copious amounts of Italian dressing are also standard.Read More: What are the good cookware sets for kitchen
This version is similar, except it is a super soft artisanal white bread (found for $1 at Walmart!) without the dressing and it is served warm. If you don’t have a dedicated Panini press at home – no problem. You can achieve similar results with a more versatile grill pan and a heavy cast iron skillet.
- ½ small red onion, sliced thin
- 4 slices thick-cut artisanal white bread
- 2 T. melted butter, unsalted
- 2 Romaine lettuce leaves washed and dried, tough ribs at bottom removed
- 1 tomato, washed, dried and sliced
- 4 oz. hard salami
- 4 oz. Italian deli ham
- 2 oz. pepperoni
- 4 oz. sliced provolone cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- For best results, soak the red onion slices in water for at least half an hour to soften before serving. This will also yield a milder flavor. Remove onion from water, pat dry and set aside.
- Butter one side of all four bread slices. Heat the grill pan over medium-high heat and add 2 slices of bread, buttered side down. (If the pan is not cast iron, spray with non-stick spray first).
- Add lettuce, tomato, red onion, salami, ham, pepperoni and provolone cheese on top of the bread slices in the pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Top assembled sandwiches with remaining 2 bread slices, buttered side up.
- With a spatula or a heavy, very clean cast iron skillet, apply even pressure to the top of the assembled sandwiches.
- This will ensure even contact with the hot grill pan below, which will create even grill marks and help heat the interior of the sandwich more thoroughly.
- When the bread on the bottom is golden brown, carefully flip each sandwich and repeat until the other slice of bread is also evenly browned.
- Serve immediately with a dill pickle spear and your favorite chips.