The garlicky goodness of fresh basil pesto sets the tone for this quick and delicious warm sandwich. This recipe tastes more complicated than it is. Grilling the bread and heating the turkey enhances the natural flavors of the ingredients and rewards you with warm, gooey, melted cheese mingled with fresh basil and toasted pine nuts.
The best part is this sandwich comes together in just a few minutes but tastes like you put a lot more effort into it. Enjoy!
- 8 slices ciabatta or other crusty Italian or hearty white sandwich bread
- 4 tablespoons prepared basil pesto
- 4 slices (about 4 ounces) provolone cheese
- 8 slices (about 8 ounces) roast turkey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Lay the bread slices on a clean work surface, and spread 1 1/2 teaspoons of the pesto over one side of each slice of bread.
- Divide the cheese evenly among the slices (depending on the size of your cheese slices, you may need to cut them in half so that you can have cheese on both sides).
- Divide the roast turkey slices evenly among 4 of the bread slices.
- Place the remaining cheese-topped slices on top of the turkey-topped slices to form 4 sandwiches.
- Brush the outside of each sandwich with some of the olive oil.
- Preheat a grill pan over medium heat.
- When it is hot, add the sandwiches, in batches if necessary, and weight them with a sandwich press or another skillet (or other heavy objects).
- Cook until the sandwiches are golden brown and crisp and the cheese has melted, 4 to 6 minutes per side.
- Remove the sandwiches, cut in half on the diagonal, and serve immediately.