The garlicy goodness of fresh basil pesto sets the tone for this quick and delicious warm sandwich. This recipe tastes more complicated than it is. Grilling the bread and heating the turkey enhances the natural flavors of the ingredients and rewards you with warm, gooey, melted cheese mingled with fresh basil and toasted pine nuts.
The best part is this sandwich comes together in just a few minutes, but tastes like you put a lot more effort into it. Enjoy!
Yields 2 sandwiches
- Pesto Ingredients:
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ cup toasted pine nuts
- ½ cup high-quality extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup hard cheese, like Parmigiano-Reggiano, finely grated
- Sandwich Ingredients:
- 2 crusty French rolls
- 2 T. butter, unsalted
- 5 T. pesto (recipe included)
- 6-8 oz. deli turkey breast, thin sliced
- 4 oz. Provolone cheese, sliced
- To prepare the pesto, combine basil, garlic and pine nuts in a food processor container. Pulse until coarsely ground. Slowly add the olive oil and blend until the mixture becomes smooth. Transfer to glass bowl and season with salt and pepper. Stir in grated cheese until thoroughly combined and use immediately.
- Freeze unused portion in ice cube trays and top with additional olive oil. Use frozen pesto cubes in soups or stews for additional flavor, as needed.
- Cut the French rolls in half lengthwise and butter the inside portion of both halves. Place buttered side down on grill pan heated over medium-high heat. Press down on the outside of the roll to achieve even grill marks. When golden brown, remove from heat and spread a generous amount of pesto on the warm, grilled portion of each piece.
- Heat turkey in the microwave with a little bit of chicken or vegetable stock until warm. Add turkey and Provolone cheese to each roll. The heat from the turkey and the grilled roll should melt the cheese. Serve immediately.