There’s no doubt that manually cleaning out the gutters on your roof is no fun. When fall comes around each year, leaves and other garden debris tend to naturally accumulate in the guttering. Not only is cleaning your gutters a tedious job, it’s also not the safest undertaking. By definition, the weather is not at its best when the leaves start to tumble so climbing up a ladder with the wind howling or snow on the ground can be lethal.
Taking this into account, you owe it to yourself to minimize the amount of work you need to do and, fortunately, there’s a handy solution at your disposal in the form of gutter guards. In today’s best gutter guards reviews, we’ll highlight 5 of the best home gutters that can ease this burden.
Best Gutter Guard Reviews 2019:
LeafsOut 5” Micro Mesh Rain Gutter Guard
While micro mesh gutter guards are not cheap, they get the job done efficiently so consider these gutter toppers as an investment rather than an expense. LeafsOut make a fantastic and hard-wearing guard that will keep the leaves in check while also making sure you’re not menaced by insects.
Available in a range of sizes to fit pretty much any roof, you can’t go wrong with this DIY gutter guard system.
- Micro mesh system
- Sample size, 23 feet, 39 feet or 100 feet options
- Stainless steel
- Designed to be pest-free
- Fits most gutters and roofs
- 5-inch guard available in a wide range of lengths from 23 feet to 100 feet so ideal for most shapes and sizes of roofs
- Ultra-fine pores means only rainwater will pass through
- Perforated with tiny holes to make sure all insects are kept safely away
- Rugged stainless steel and anodized aluminum means you’ll get no degradation or weather damage
- Straightforward screw-in installation so ideal even if you’re not practically inclined
- Not the cheapest style of gutter guard but highly effective
A-M Aluminum Gutter Guard
If you want an affordable but effective gutter protection product that will cope even with the constant heavy rain, the A-M aluminum gutter topper is well worth popping on your shortlist.
Fashioned from rugged aluminum and super-simple to set up, all you need to do is screw the protection in place, set and forget. The added kicker is that 200 feet of this 5-inch guard comes in at an extremely keen price point.
- 5-inch guard in 200-foot length
- Rust-free aluminum
- 380 holes per foot of gutter guard
- Easy installation
- Fit to deal with heavy rain
- A subtle approach to gutter protection almost invisible when you’re down below
- Built to last at least 25 years thanks to high-grade aluminum construction
- Heavily perforated, this guard will stand up to even significant downpours keeping your gutter largely maintenance-free
- Simply screw the guard in so no complex assembly required
- Excellent value for money without compromising quality
- You’ll need to invest in some ¼ screws since these are not provided
Raptor Gutter Guard
Another masterpiece that will definitely keep the gutters clean, the rainwater flowing, and keep away pests and insects from nesting. This gutter guard is designed in alignment with the raptors protection system. It is constructed from stainless steel. It is known that construction from stainless steel is perfect when the product is disposed to both high and low temperatures.
- Made from stainless steel such as aluminum
- The standard type of raptor guards is available.
- It weighs 11 pounds
- Sample size: 47.5 x 5.5 x 0.2 inches
- The stainless steel does a quite good job in blocking almost everything. Dirt and insects definitely won’t be able to get into the gutter.
- Highly durable.
- The gutter guard is effortless to install.
- The product comes with a 25-year warranty so you can keep your mind at peace.
- The thin surface ‘can’t sustain water overflow under heavy rainfall
FlexxPoint 30-Year Gutter Cover System
If you’re looking for a budget approach to home gutter guards, FlexxPoint has a system guaranteed for 30 years which will not void your existing roof warranty. Up for grabs in a range of sizes and colors, this 5-inch aluminum gutter guard offers plenty of bang for your buck.
Once you’ve completed the super-simple installation, you can forget all about the constant need to keep your gutters debris-free and let this outstanding gutter topping do its work for decades to come.
- Sizes from 20 feet through 5000 feet
- 3 colorways
- Aluminum with stainless steel fasteners
- Doesn’t invalidate your roof guarantee
- 3-point design
- Permanent installation which won’t give you a headache or call for any maintenance
- Available in black, white or matte finish to gel with any color scheme
- Proprietary 3-point system elevates the leaves and debris while simultaneously preventing clogging
- Choice of 6 lengths (20, 100, 200, 500, 1000 and 2000 feet) offering you complete flexibility with your gutter guard system
- Outstanding value for money considering build quality and durability alongside hard-hitting performance
- Watch out for bending and wastage during installation
E-Z Aluminum Mesh Gutter Guards
For a truly budget option, these E-Z Quick 10 aluminum mesh gutter guards are a top-notch defense against the leaves and assorted mess that can clog up your gutters when fall comes around.
The 4 snap-on sections totalling 40 feet will anchor firmly into place and stay there unless you want to pull them off and give them a quick once-over. If you’re looking for overall value, these guard systems are hard to ignore.
- Non-rusting aluminum
- 40 feet of gutter guard in 4 sections
- ¾ inch overlap
- Close mesh
- Snaps out when required
- Snap-on installation with no need for any screws so get going straight out the box
- Exceptional value for money without stiffing you on quality or effectiveness
- Fits standard 5-inch roof gutters so ideal for most homes
- Aluminum resists rotting or rusting as it comes pre-expanded
- Will stay neatly in place even in adverse conditions but snaps out with ease when it’s time for any maintenance
- Some users report difficulties with installation and fitting
Amerimax Gutter Guard
Amerimax Gutter Guard (85470) is a fantastic option that provides easy installation and incredible protection. It comes at an affordable price, and it is constructed from lightweight materials. The gutter guard is also effortless to install. The plastic holes might seem more significant, but the Amerimax guard comes with a connected filter that restricts smaller particles from getting through.
- Sample size: 37 x 9 x 9 inches
- Plastic construction
- This model is quite bulky.
- It weighs 18 pounds
- Extremely easy to install because of their snap-on type of mechanism. The installation instructions are relatively easy to follow.
- It successfully restricts the access of smaller particles to the gutters. That way the guard prevents gutters from clogging.
- It comes at an affordable price which is suitable for people on a budget.
- It has a limited lifespan due to the low quality plastic materials
- Not sustainable with some gutters
LeafTek 5″ x 100′ Gutter Guard
When it comes to the guttering protection of your home, LeafTek Gutter Guard will do the job perfectly. What is unique in this gutter guard is that it won’t allow water overflow. This results in the proper protection of your house from damages. LeafTek guards are perfectly designed to protect your home guttering system from debris and grit. It successfully keeps smaller particles away from clogging and blocking the gutters.
- 24/7 Support
- Sample size: 49 x 5.9 x 2 inches
- Weighs only 11.75 pounds
- Constructed from stainless materials like aluminum
- The stainless construction keeps corrosion away. It also lengthens the lifespan of the gutter.
- The installation is relatively straightforward.
- Keeps away every kind of smaller particles that have a chance of clogging and blocking the guttering system
- The company provides fantastic customer service.
- 35-year warranty is available which will put your mind at ease
- Not compatible for some gutters
Easyon 5″ Gutterguard
Easyon offers a pocket-friendly steel mesh gutter guard that’s designed to keep leaves away from your gutter as well as sand, grit or even pine needles.
The 4 sections are a cinch to screw into place with everything you need to be provided in the package.
Tack on the optional IceMelt Cover if you live somewhere prone to sub-zero temperatures and you’ve got yourself an all-purpose gutter guard solution for the price of a cheap restaurant meal.
- Stainless steel micro mesh
- 9 x 4-foot sections
- Screws and driver included
- Designed for up to 150 inches of rain per hour
- IceMelt Cover optional
- Heavy-duty stainless steel mesh dispatches leaves and heavier grit and debris without a hitch
- 36 feet in 4 easy-to-install sections
- Set it up at a slight angle to ensure most efficient shedding of dirt, sand, and leaves
- For anyone living in a colder area, the IceMelt Cover makes light work of icicles or any snow build-up keeping your gutters running free
- Superb value for money considering the results you’ll experience
- Fitting the corner sections can prove slightly taxing but it’s not a deal-breaker
STEELCO 6-Mesh Galvanized Gutter Guard
The STEELCO Gutter Guard, 10 Piece does an outstanding job in protecting your guttering system from any particles that have the chance of blocking the gutters. Moreover, it ‘doesn’t restrict the water flow. The rainwater passes effortlessly through the mesh into the drain. ‘It’s relatively easy to install and provides smooth edges for secure handling. This one is also made from stainless materials which help in protection against rust.
- Weighs only 6 pounds
- Sample size: 6 x 36 x 1.5 inches
- Constructed from steel and aluminum
- Manufactured in Kentucky, USA.
- It has a rigid construction which provides a longer lifespan. And the built-in stainless materials protect the gutter guard from corrosion.
- Incredible performance in downpours. The gutters stay fully opened for maximum efficiency.
- It comes at an affordable price.
- Easily fits in smaller gutters.
- A technician might be necessary to set the customisation
Ultimate Gutter Guard by Gutter&Drain
The Ultimate Gutter Guard by Gutter&Drain can be one of the best options in the market right now that also comes at an affordable price. Buying the Ultimate Gutter Guard will prevent you from wasting time, money, and effort. It does an outstanding job of keeping smaller particles away from the gutter. It is relatively easy to set it up. The unique mesh gutter cover does an incredible job in keeping your gutter guard clean and protected. It raises leaves stuck in the gutter guard and lets the wind take them from there.
- Extremely lightweight – 4.7 pounds
- Sample size: 50.5 x 7 x 3.5 inches
- No batteries required
- It is straightforward to install. Follow the simple instructions, and you will be done in a few minutes.
- It does an adequate job in eliminating debris that is trying to clog your guttering system. So it won’t be necessary for you to climb that ladder every week to clean leaves from your gutters.
- 5-year warranty so you can rest assured that everything is 100% risk-free
- Not compatible for some guttering systems
Types of Gutter Guards:
Mesh Gutter Guards
- Metal sheets riddled with tiny holes
- Micro mesh gutter guards attach directly to the roof shingles
Foam Gutter Guards
- Fitting straight into your gutter
- These plastic attachments block all debris from hitting the gutter
Nylon Gutter Guards
- Perfect for combating snow
- Ideal winter gutter guards
Reverse Curve Gutter Guards
- With the water being pushed downward, these guards encourage leaves to fall to the floor
Bottle Brush Gutter Guards
- Upright facing guards made from bristles
- These guards help the water to flow away with the debris sat on top
Today, we’ll focus on aluminum and steel mesh guards but it pays for you to know the other types available. We’ll get right down to business now with a brief summary of the gutter guards system on the market before clearing up some common questions about the effectiveness of these gutter toppers…
Does Gutter System Really Work?
While their stated purpose is to stop leaves and debris from clogging your gutters, opinion is polarized as to whether they actually work.
Perhaps the easiest way to determine if they are effective is to examine the advantages and downsides so you can make your own mind up if they are something you’d like to pursue…
- Sidestep the need for regular cleaning with gutter guards
- Extend the lifespan of your gutters
- Stop bird or rodents from making nests in your gutter’
- Add to your existing gutters with ease
- Eliminate stagnant water gathering
- Add heated guards to combat snow and ice
- Gutter guards can be extremely expensive
- Many gutter protection products are practically useless
- You’ll still need to carry out some cleaning
- Some heavier guards can cause your gutters to sag
- If you need to use a ladder, this might dent your gutter guards
- Not suitable for steep roofs
How To Install Best Gutter Topper
Installing micro mesh gutter guards couldn’t be simpler.
- Pop the mesh under the shingles or bend the back up and screw it to the fascia.
- All you need is generally included in the package so you’ll be fully protected in no time.
How Do You Clean Out Gutters With Gutter Guards?
When Should You Replace Your Gutter Topper?
There’s such a wide disparity with an expected lifespan that there’s no easy answer to this.
Cheap and shoddy gutter guards might give up the ghost within the year while others are guaranteed for decades and might even last a lifetime.
We hope you’ve found plenty of useful information in these gutter guards reviews and you’re now well placed to determine whether or not this roofing solution makes sense for you.
Come back soon for more home and garden related products and ideas and make sure you keep those gutters clear!