The best part about warm weather is the chance to spend more time outdoors. Whether working in the garden, washing your car, or simply filling the pool for the kids, buying one of the best hose reels to keep your hose in its place when not in use is smart.
When it comes to choosing a garden hose reel, there are plenty of options with different variations. Some are cheaper or more expensive than others. Some have additional features that others don’t. No matter what you’re after you should always keep in mind that by listening to experts who’ve done their research before, you will save both time and money on products that won’t give you the results that you want.
And that is exactly what we’ve done below.
Let’s get right to it.
Best Hose Reel Reviews 2019:
We’ve taken the best of each item and listed it in a convenient fashion for you in order to learn what each of the following hose reels does. We’ve also listed some things that we believe leave something to be desired so make sure you also keep that in mind when making your choice.
|Top 5 Hose Reel||Capacity (Feet)||Material||Warranty||Price|
|125||Cast Aluminum||1 year|
|65||Cast Aluminum||1 year|
|225||Cast Aluminum||1 year|
|50||Solid Steel||1 year|
1. Liberty 708 Wall Mount Garden Hose Reel
Looking for the wind and unwind your garden host in style? Look no further! This is the answer to your needs. With its top storage tray, you will also have some extra space to store other tools that go along with the wall mount hose reel. Moreover, it comes fully assembled so you don’t have to go through the headache of putting it all together by yourself. What more could one want in a garden hose?
- Maximum holding capacity of 125 feet of garden hose
- Steel construction with a durable powder coat finish
- Easy to pull the hose out and then unwind it
- Mounting hardware is not included in the package
2. RL Flo-Master 65HR8 Retractable Hose Reel
Looking for the ultimate retractable hose reel with a spray pattern nozzle? This is the garden hose for you. Incorporating the best of both worlds, this garden hose gives you all the functionality that you need. It has an automatic guide that prevents the hose from overlapping while retracting, ensuring that your hose goes back into place as it should. It is also made with portability in mind and as such, it’s quite easy to move it from one place to another.
- Ensures that your hose is retracted back to its original position
- You get an 8-pattern nozzle included in the package
- Its mounting bracket allows for a maximum of 180 degrees of swivel.
- Has a carrying handle included for ease of portability
- Sometimes, a little water drips from the bottom
3. Suncast RSW125D 125-Foot Capacity Hose Reel
We bring you the Suncast RSW125D, a 125-foot capacity hose reel. With its water-powered automatic hose reel and dark brown, java colored exterior, this is definitely one tool that you’ll love to have in your backyard. With its smart Trak hose, which guides the hose to wind evenly, you will never have to worry about damaging your garden hose. It also comes fully assembled so you can start using it as soon as it arrives.
- Durable construction made of resin
- Has both leader and discharge hoses
- 125 feel of ⅝ inch started vinyl hose capacity
- The hose reel is automatic and water powered
- A few people have complained that the internal reel warps a bit making it slightly difficult to pull out after multiple uses
4. NeverLeak Poly Wall Mount Hose Reel
One of the main problems with garden hose reels is the fact that they start leaking, sometimes even after a few uses. This is one of the best garden hose reels for that reason – it will never leak. Containing other useful features, such as a maximum capacity of 225′ and an accessory tray as well as an easy spin grip, this is one garden hose that is definitely up there with the best of them.
- Its water system resists cross threading and stands up to cold temperatures
- A maximum range of 225’ of ⅝” hose
- Comes fully assembled
- Ability to wind it standing up
- The mounting plastic bracket could sometimes be more durable
- Some have said that the mounting screws are a little too short
5. Coxreels Air Hose Reel
This hose reel is one of the best-designed reels available on the market. There are very few products that even come close to the overall design, features, and functionality of this product.
With its extra-large chassis containing dual pedestal-style arms and Coxreel’s Super Hub, triple axle support is provided.
What does that all mean?
It simply means that vibration is reduced and the integrity of the reel is strengthened, making it perfect for both on and off-road applications.
- Redesigned hose reels to handle dual hydraulic application
- EZ-Coil retraction for reducing rewind hazards and greatly increase safety
- Able to handle various non-aromatic fuel applications such as diesel and fuel oil
- Constructed of electro-polished stainless steel for non-corrosive performance.
- The size might seem slightly oversized for some users
Why Use a Garden Hose Reel?
One of the reasons to use a garden hose reel is to extend the life of your hose. We’ve all experienced a hose that becomes worn and soft or splits from laying in the summer sun day after day. Or worse, a hose that ends up with the end crimped because your husband backed over it with his truck.
- A quality hose reel can reduce the kinks and tangles in a hose, not only when you’re trying to use it but when it’s not in use.
- A hose that doesn’t get repeatedly kinked and tangled every time you use, provides more water pressure too.
- Your yard stays organized and looks neater when you use compact hose reel because you don’t end up with your hose stretched out all over the yard or lying in a heap until the next time you need it.
- The automatic hose is easier to put away so you’ll be more likely to do it and by rolling it back onto the hose reel, the hose stays cleaner overall.
When you need to use your hose, it’s much more accessible and quicker to use because you just pull the hose to the length you need without having to deal with tangles.
How to Choose a Hose Reel?
Most people buy a retractable hose reel without giving it a lot of thought beforehand. They may simply pick one of the best-priced hose reels. But if you take the time to analyze the features of best garden hose reels, you’ll see that putting some thought into your purchase can pay off in the long run.
#1 Materials and Design
The materials can provide some insight into the expected durability of a retractable hose reel. The advantage of buying one of the best quality hose reels is that it can save you money because it won’t wear out or break. High-quality steel construction or a powder coating will help prevent the reel from rusting over time.
Carefully consider how frequently you will use your hose and try to position your hose reel in an area where it will be shaded as much as possible from damaging sun rays and extreme weather. If the location of your hose reel is in a mostly sunny area, consider buying a hidden or enclosed hose reel for additional protection.
#2 Mounting Options
When shopping for a hose reel consider both portability and mounting options. Some reels are freestanding or cemented into the ground and others come with brackets to mount them on a garage wall or the side of your home. These are good for small properties where portability isn’t needed. Some hose reels are lightweight, have a handle for carrying or include heavy duty wheels to roll the reel around your garden or property if needed.
#3 Storage Capacity
The storage capacity of your hose reel is important so that the hose you buy will fit properly onto the reel. Buying a 150-foot hose to go onto a hose reel that is designed for a 100-foot hose means nothing but headaches. Decide the length and diameter of the hose you need and then choose a portable hose reel with enough capacity to accommodate your hose easily.
#4 Additional Features and Accessories
Fixtures on your hose reel should be brass or galvanized metal for durability and to prevent breakage. Spring reels or retractable garden hose reels are great for long hoses and for anyone who has joint pain or other issues which make turning a crank to difficult. If you need it, there are heavy-duty industrial reels that use water, air, or electric to retract the hose.
Some of the best quality hose reels include a pivoting bracket that makes it easier to use the hose in different areas of your yard when it’s wall mounted. Hose reels with a hose guide to prevent tangles or a viewing window to see tangles as you roll your hose are also great.
Of course, when buying your hose reel, you want to consider the price. It’s a good idea to know your budget before you read best hose reel reviews and analyze prices. Knowing your budget will help you narrow your choices and ultimately make a decision as to the right hose reel for your needs. Depending on your needs, you may decide to pay a little more for a high-quality hose reel with extra features that will prevent headaches when you use your hose.
How to Use Your Hose Reel Properly
One of the things that are important when buying a hose reel is to understand how to properly use your hose reel. Many people have run into issues by buying a hose reel and using it incorrectly or in a way that doesn’t fit with its purpose.
Read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions to ensure that your hose reel is properly assembled and mounted before using your hose. Pull the hose out slowly and steadily rather than jerking it quickly, especially if you have a spring retractable feature. Always make sure your hose reel is stored in an area where it won’t be damaged.
Buying a good quality hose reel is not complicated. Simply take some time to think about how you will most often use your hose and where it will be located. Compare several of the best quality hose reels and then choose the reel that has the features that meet your needs at the price you can afford.